Dreaming

 

·         Why do you think Randy Pausch was able to achieve so many of his childhood dreams?

I think this is best answered with his brick wall analogy. We are given “brick walls,’ or rejection, or failure as a means to have us prove how badly we want something. Instead of seeing these moments as absolutes, Randy saw them as a challenge to prove he could do it. Persistence and momentum brought his successes, not just intelligence or luck. I think supportive parents were what planted the seed for his mindset. They did not tell him he could not do things, they did not restrict his creativity so the world was full of opportunity in his mind.

·         Do you feel that dreaming is important? Why or why not?

Dreaming is important and allowing ourselves to believe that dreaming is important is the permission that we need. Restrictions and rules constantly pull us out of dreaming which then limits our minds creativity. This limiting turns into beliefs about ourselves and our abilities, those thoughts turn into action or inaction and that brings about our results. If we do not believe in dreaming then we will find regret and resentment, unfulfilled lives, and a lingering sadness. I daydream a lot but then find that fear creeps into my dreams and limits what I think can be a reality. I have made a lot of decisions based on fear and they have resulted in inaction and sometimes regret.

·         Discuss at least one of your childhood dreams. Explain why you believe you can or cannot achieve this dream.

The first thought that came to mind was my dream of becoming a veterinarian. I have loved animals all my life and worked in the veterinary industry for many years. I believe that I could still go to school to become a veterinarian.  I know how to work hard.  It is not that I think I cannot achieve my dream; but that the dream has changed. I believe that I will achieve helping and loving animals in a different way.  

 

Comments